Tuesday 9 January 2007

The Art of Contentment

A wise man once said, life is more of misery than happiness. Is that true? Or is that just an isolated view from a pessimistic and inward-looking guy? The demise of the once hailed Malaysian genius Teoh See Beng recently convinces me of the prevalence of uncertainties in our daily life. He was a genius, an almost idol figure for many young schoolchildren 18 years ago. When I was 7, he was the kind pf person I envisaged as ‘successful’. But he died of mental illness after suffering from it for years since graduating from his doctorate programme. Is that fate? Only God knows.

I am always wondering what true happiness means. If triumphs and disasters are temporary, long-lasting happiness should come with a plain and simple life. We often see what others have, but ignore what we ourselves are having. That’s what I understand from my schoolteachers’ lectures, but sad to say, I seldom practise it. I see extraordinary beauty in others as blessing, and blame my plain appearance on sheer injustice from God, only to realize the folly upon seeing people born without arms and legs, or with faulty organs.

I complained for being sent to Macquaire University despite scoring the top score in Taylor’s College, forgetting the fact that I am too lucky compared to friends who are still waiting for the formidable STPM results, still unsure of their future path. Why should I complain when I still get a chance to go overseas? Yes I should have been given my first choice, but life is never as perfect as we wish. Plus, there isn’t adequate ground to feel too arrogant about my SACE 2 result. It’s JUST SAM, nothing compared to the degree programme I’m about to embark on. In retrospect, the ‘ups and downs in life’ that Mrs Quek reminded me is nothing but true. No grudge against her, in fact I got to thank her for adding colours to my Pre-University life.

No one knows what will happen tomorrow; no one could guarantee he or she can live through the next moment. Accidents happen everyday, lives parish at every second. In short, nothing should be taken for granted, nothing is for sure. In the face of this era of great hope, despair, uncertainties and joy, contentment is the key to eternal happiness.

No comments: