Monday 15 January 2007

Football and me

I love watching soccer for a number of reasons. Don't you ever think that it is just a man's game. .. if you did, i hereby assure you that you are wrong and your perception ought to be changed.


You might be wondering how i pick up the habit of following closely every match I perceive as 'significant'... Well, just like any girl, I build up the passion for football from watching the biggest and most lucrative game played every four years -- the World Cup.


Many love the World Cup. I typically think it is very romantic and cool in that it is pure gold, shining like a star during all the finals I so far had followed. I would love to touch it one day, see how it feels. There are many who strive hard just to lift this trophey, many died with only dreams of the Cup, never had a chance to see it from close. Haiz, how could I ever gonna touch it? you foolish little las....





The first time I ever watched a football match was during the 1998 World Cup in ... Paris i guess.

France vs Brazil was the finals. I sided France that time, just to contradict my friend's prediction that Brazil would be Champion. In the end I was right! France scored 3 goals and Brazil scored none. That was the first time I felt the excitement offered by this great game of all time.




In that very first World Cup, the England squad attracted the most of my attention for reasons more than football skills. David Beckham was sent off for an on-field offense. Michael Owen scored a superb volley with Beckham earlier on to give the Argentinian big boys a shock. But England lost on penalty shoot-out in the end...



Michael Owen is cute! Isn't he? He is one of my favourites in soccer. He's fast, quick and versatile. But one bad thing is that he is injury-prone recently. Bad...

After the 1998 finals I started following the EPL. Love it since then.



Liverpool..... Tis my favourite team. I like Captain Gerrard very much. He's such a charismatic natural leader. Would prefer him to be the next England skipper after Beckham actually, but John Terry was appointed in the end. The Istanbul night was such a frenzy. That time I was in Singapore, sharing the excitement with many fellow Liverpool fan.







Then it is Chelsea... not my favourite but they have the best spirit in EPL. I like Frank Lampard. He is not so cute as Owen but he has got the most mesmerizing eyes in a soccer player. More so, he is the club's top midfield goalscorer. Like the way he kisses his engagement ring every time he scores. So sweet!





Then it is Arsenal ....Don't really like Hendry and his fellow non-English teammates. Not sure 'bout the reason....Perhaps I was just being ignored
by its 'military-sounding' team name. I just don't like the idea of Arsenal being crown English champion cos their first team comprises of mainly non-English players... But a youngster there is quite adorable I think....





Theo Walcott. Quite a bright star in Southamton, in-making star at Arsenal. Hope to see him playing more for Arsenal and England. His attitude is rather positive for a 17-year-old. Hehe, he's a year younger than me some more....Can't imagine how these kids handle the pressure of people's attention and being in the limelight.



You look at him.... He's a kid la. Would you believe that he is earning big big bucks enough to buy a car and apartment for himself? Spoilt youngsters...


I typically support the England squad all the time, but more often than not they let me down by their underperformance. Hence, in their times of low, I tend to avoid frustration by turning to other international teams.



Those whom I love: Portugal, Germany, Japan, Korea


Those whom I hate: Brazil !!!!!!!!!!! Hate their Sambal dance and ARROGANCE .






Having said this, I don't play football myself.... I don't watch women football (not than I'm sexist, it's just that the women's game lack the passion, excitement, ups and downs of the man's game)



But afterall, I play soccer in Fifa World Cup finals ................







I mean..... computer games. Haha.



No comments: