Monday 4 June 2007

First Birthday away from home

Well, I typed a wonderful blog entry on my first birthday away from home but sadly it didn't get posted on because of the sucky connection. Now I couldn't remember what was said in that post but would hope that this one makes a good substitute.



4th June nearly always fall on school holiday, so it was always celebrated at home in Taiping. But this year's was different and was a whole new experience. I am away from all the comforts at home and am here in Marsfield, a suburb of the well-known metropolitan city, Sydney. It didn't start well in the sense that, well, I felt truly stressed-out since morning with uni work, and was unfortunate to catch a mild cold in the morning due to the weather which was freezing cold.



I went to gym after uni for a brief workout (I don't have time, but I am trying to control my weight, which has undoubtedly risen because I eat a whole lot more than I do during summer, which is one bad thing about winter--it makes you fat!!). The emergency alarm rang when I was panting on the treadmill. "Evacuate now! Evacuate the building!Evacuate now..." We left the building for 5 minutes, only to be told that it was just a mistake and there was no fire whatsoever in the building.

At 10.30, Shir Lynn knocked on my door and I immediately knew what was behind the door. I was quick enough to say thank you before they manage to wish me happy birthday, which is a whole new style of responding to a surprise. Coolest.....Yup, Joy baked a truly yummy lemon cheesecake. They bought me a genuine addidas sportswear (not from petaling street) and Martha gave me a lovely jumper. Haha, their wishes in the greeting card were both creative and thought provoking.

That pretty much described what happened on my first birthday away from Malaysia. The only shadow that overcovered the joy in myself is the looming final exam. Nevertheless, I had a good day!

No comments: