Sunday 3 June 2007

A state of craziness

Woosh.....You guess how I spent my Saturday this week??? I went to gym in the morning, worked hard to prevent myself from gaining too much weight. Winter's officially started and the cold weather always make me hungry. I never feel this way back in Malaysia and would have got pissed off if I were to eat the way I eat now in Malaysia. But here, when the temperature is around 10 C and I just came back from uni, tired and shivering, eating is the first thing in my mind. That's why people tend to grow fatter in a four season country. I promise myself to go gym everyday after exam (now don't have much time coz exam is near) to get my weight back to normal. Feel so sick everytime when I stand on a weighing machine.

Yeah, and after coming back from gym, I vacuumed my lovely room, and thence started my marraton catching-up-with-lagging-uni-work, until now. I never work like this, even in SAM. But I guess this is really what EVERY actuarial student has to do to survive the course. Exam is near and the lectures are still going on, new topics are introduced to us at bullet-train speed and we are expected to learn 90% of it on our own, basically. Back in college and high school the last month, at least, before final exam was usually for revision and consultation, as the syllabi were done way way before finals, but it is a wholly different story in uni. We are two weeks from exam and the new materials are still coming in, faster than ever. If you ask me how I feel now, I would only say," THIS IS CRAZY!!!".

Nevertheless one good thing is that I start to think all the maths and insurance and probability and spreadsheet that shape the actuarial course are somewhat fun. Hope to build on from here. It's a matter of taking the suffering and laughing it off at the end, just like what Brian Chu (my ACST151 tutor) confessed: "All the compound interest stuff will appear in your dream because you encounter it EVERYDAY. And you can imagine how interesting my undergraduate life was, and I have just recently got back my life..." He's bright and yet he suffered, and I guess that's what Macquarie Uni Actuarial Studies is meant to be: it's about taking the bitter and interpreting it as sweet.

No comments: