Saturday 10 February 2007

It's just the end of a chapter and the begining of another....

I was very pleased with myself for getting up so early to read my friends' blogs. Very rare for me coz I don't normally like being a buzybody going around hunting for information 'bout other's private life. But considering I might not have access to internet for at least some time I decided to break the rules I set for myself.

After reading Shir Lynn's and Shern Ren's I started to feel guity for not feeling extremely sad bout the fact that I'm leaving Malaysia soon. Perhaps the long holiday after SAM had at least numbed my emotional strings or at worst made me actually look forward to my departure date. No doubt I love my parents, relatives and friends very much but all these wouldn't stop me from seeking for more new experiences and surprises in a foreign land. Mum and dad even advised me not to come back; instead, they would visit me in Australia during summer ("since you gonna buy tickets to and fro you must well let us see aus rather than you seeing the same old Taiping!) True....

I bid farewell to all my old friends here, but without tears or anything closer to it. The reunions were very fun. I was glad to see some of the 'gangsters' in my secondary school after so long. Some have grown very mature, some have not (like me, probably). We seemed to be very happy for one another (some of them already entered they first choice courses in local u) and honestly we don't feel like hugging each other or crying on each other's shoulders. To me, friends come and go. When we arrive at a new social circle we are bound to make new friends. I'm not suggesting that we should forget our old friends totally, but it's a reality that when a common community does not exist between two persons, it would be hard, if not impossible, to find something to share and talk about. That's what I learned after entering and exiting so many stages in the last few years.

After SPM, we sweared to hold our friendship tightly forever, but how many of us are still in touch after just 2 years (how many would in 5 years, 10 years, or 20 years time??). I had a great time in Singapore, and when I was about to leave, my fellow victorians told me they'll miss me much and hope to retain my contacts. But what happened after just 2 months? I never made an attempt to contact them, nor did they for the same reason: what's there to talk about??

Not to say friendships wouldn't last, but not all would stay with us after many years of separation. I'm sure my best friends in Taiping like Ee Leen and Cheng Tian would be glad to come out with me even after 10 years, but I wouldn't dare to say the same with the rest...

Having said this, I still sincerely hope the friendship I built at Taylor's College would last for longer. We are heading to the same country, to say the least.

All the best to my friends out there. Despite being pessimistic, I'm still clinging to the age-old farewell wishes: "Freindship forever, may we stay in touch and not forget one another...".

No comments: