Thursday 1 March 2007

Class has started

Yea....my four-month holiday has come to an end. Lectures start on 26th Feb 2007, and we'll have ACST (intro for actuarial) even on orientation week. Oh, my brain has gone rusty abit... to the extent that i need some time to recall all the maths principals n formulae which I learned in SAM last year. ACST is kinda interesting, and I hope it wouldn't get too hard as time passes. I think the lecturer is quite fun...hehe. Guess his name is, if i'm not mistaken, Professor John Pollard. He claimed to not receive any royalty from the book he wrote which we use as tectbook...but the book still costs AUD$79. Crap. Nevertheless his lectures are quite good and less boring than what I expected earlier.

If you would ever let the idea of "uni life is always fun n relaxing" to cross your mind, I'm here to congratulate you that you are absolutely right, unless you are an actuarial student. The four subjects that we're currently taking are considered 'easy' by many of our seniors, which goes to show that the subsequent semesters would be even more "terrifying", as some people term it. I have met several local students(but they are asians) who expressed their most intense admiration when i told them that I'm a first year actuarial student. They said that it's the hardest course on earth and I should feel grateful of I actually survive the three-year-stint. Hey, it's supposed to be a course whereby out of a sudden, you would realise that a class with 50 students would be reduced to less than 15 in few months time. Scary, rite?

I've bought some of my textbooks although they are priced above what I would call, an affordable level. Statistics textbook costs me $65.50, whilst ACST costs me $79 as mentioned before, and Macroeconomics is likely to leech another $90 something from my pathetic monthly allowance. Haih...

Well, I guess that's about it for time being. Need to learn how to use Microsoft Excel before I find myself lost in next week's lecture. Have a nice day!!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

u wan me photocopy some book in malaysia and send there ?

Anonymous said...

i consider your book to be very very cheap
mine is 145 dollars for a book ok

Xin Yin said...

haha...if only what we could do in msia (photocopying) can be done in Australia...

terine, ur's is even worse cos it's in us dollar

Unknown said...

malaysia photocopying cheaper ma..one whole books maybe cost u AUD 10

Xin Yin said...

when u add the postal fees it might turn out the same

Anonymous said...

hmm around Aud 15

Xin Yin said...

but vr hard to post here ma....what if the ppl here do scan the content??

Anonymous said...

haha.......... i got WAY to post..

=p... remember ho sheng king of photocopy

Anonymous said...

u send me ur booklist u need for next semester.. i try to get for u 1 or 2 lar

Anonymous said...

why don't you just order used book from ebay lah, it is so much easier. and dirt cheap sometimes.
anyway, even they do scan, i don't think they care.it's just a book

Unknown said...

i think of E-bay also...but too stupid liao ....dun noe how to buy ..no credit card...MOM SAID NO TO IT

Xin Yin said...

i dont dare to use e bay, too