Sunday 29 June 2008

Say goodbye to the era of cheap flight ticket

Petrol prices had never bothered me in the past 20 years. I don't drive ( I managed to somehow pass my driving test on my first attempt although deep inside I know my driving sucks) so whenever my peers complain to me about how much it cost to drive from Subang Jaya to Mid-Valley etc etc I wouldn't even give a damn.


Finally I'm feeling the crunch. And yes it is definitely not a good feeling that you would want to constantly remind yourself of.


Yet I have no choice. Our favourite aviation company, Jetstar, has cancelled the Sydney-Kuala Lumpur flight starting this coming September. This means we Sydney people have just lost our cheap option to fly back home end of this year. Everyone who flied on Jetstar last year could tell how lucky we were as compared to our fellow JPA people in other cities. No transit is required. We just need to hop on the plane and 7 hours later we are home in Malaysia.

Considering I had experienced the atmosphere during the peak tourism season (Christmas, Boxing Day, and New Year) last year I see no reason to go back late like I did last year. So, being a very calculative consumer I looked up the prices of flight ticket of various airlines, and was ASTONISHED to discover that tickets for MAS or SIA could easily cost a fortune (that is, somewhere close to AUD2000). Argh....this is so beyond my acceptable range.


Where to go from here? Few options (though more expensive than the direct Jetstar flight) are still opened.

-Sydney - Singapore - KL
-Sydney - Perth - KL
-Sydney - Brisbane - KL

Whichever way I choose I can't get away from flight transit, which is uber tiring.

No comments: